PDA

Vollständige Version anzeigen : Scott Coker Excited for Strikeforce's Heavyweights in 2011

Teashi
29-11-2010, 23:47
Scott Coker Excited for Strikeforce's Heavyweights in 2011 -- MMA Fighting (http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/11/29/scott-coker-excited-for-strikeforces-heavyweights-in-2011/)

With Fedor Emelianenko, Alistair Overeem, Fabricio Werdum and Josh Barnett among the names on the promotion's roster, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has singled out his heavyweight division as the one he's most excited for in 2011.

"I think we're going to finish [2010] off strong and I look forward to 2011 cause I think the thing we're getting real excited about is our heavyweight division," Coker said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "And I think you're going to see some great heavyweight matchups that people have been dying to see in the past."

Although Coker would not reveal any exact details, announcements could be made as soon as Dec. 4 during the promotion's year-end "Henderson vs. Babalu" event.

On The MMA Hour, Coker commented on Strikeforce heavyweight titleholder Overeem's recent statements to MMAFighting.com that he will not be returning to Strikeforce until next spring at the earliest.

"I'm talking to his management and we have a game plan for Alistair and I'm sure you'll hear about it soon," Coker said.

Overeem's next fight(s) are on Dec. 11 at the K-1 World Grand Prix 2010 Final in Tokyo, Japan and possibly Dynamite!! 2010 on New Year's Eve.

On the Fedor front, a contract extension with the final PRIDE champ has still not been signed, but Coker continues to remain optimistic. Fedor, who suffered a shocking loss to Werdum in June, has one fight remaining on his current deal with the San Jose-based organization.

"The Fedor thing is an ongoing conversation," Coker said. "I'll feel very good about where it's headed and I think you'll see [Fedor, Overeem, Josh Barnett] in the cage by the end of the first quarter."

A heavyweight likely to become a polarizing figure if he ever steps inside the cage will be former WWE superstar Dave Batista. Talk of Batista entering the fight game emerged in the Summer and although a deal is still yet to be finalized, Coker does expect Batista to join the promotion.

"I know there's still dialogue but there's nothing inked yet," Coker said. "But my best guess is that he's going to be fighting for Strikeforce in the second quarter of next year."

Former EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva will be fighting this Saturday in an effort to make another run at the title. Originally booked against Alistair Overeem's brother Valentijn Overeem, Silva will instead face Mike Kyle, who has signed on as a late replacement. Kyle's most recent Strikeforce fight was at 205 and if his coach and American Kickboxing Academy owner Javier Mendez is correct, come Saturday Coker could have one more heavyweight to get excited about next year.

"When Javier Mendez of AKA say he's ready, he's in shape," Coker said. "It'll be a 50/50 fight but Mike has a good shot to win."
da ist man gespannt.