Very intense Ken Shamrock interview [Archiv] - Kampfkunst-Board

PDA

Vollständige Version anzeigen : Very intense Ken Shamrock interview

BJJ Fighter
18-11-2003, 13:29
Dan Severn mad at UFC for picking Ken Shamrock over him to be in the UFC Hall of Fame
I got this from mma weekly:

November 15th, 2003
SEVERN CHOOSES NOT TO ATTEND 10TH ANNIVERSARY FESTIVITIES
In a strange story, it appears Dan Severn will not be a part of the UFC 45 festivities. MMAWeekly has had it confirmed from the UFC that Severn will not be a part of the event because of some scheduling conflicts.That is what he told the UFC. Some other insiders don't believe that is the story. Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer had the following story on their website on Friday.The observer said quote "Dan Severn will not be appearing as listed as one of the most popular fighters in UFC history because he's legitimately mad because Ken Shamrock was picked ahead of him for the Hall of Fame." Take that for what it's worth. Severn was not available for comment when MMAWeekly tried to contact him yesterday.

If this is true then Dan really has a big ego. Ken has seniority over him in the UFC cause Ken was there from the beginning. I think a lot of his fans will be dissapointed to not see Dan show up. And if you read the following interview (also from mma weekly) you'll see that Ken picks Dan to be the next in line for the UFC Hall of Fame:

Interview with Ken Shamrock, UFC Hall of Fame Inductee
by Ryan Bennett

This Friday night, Ken Shamrock will be one of the two first-ever UFC legends, alongside rival Royce Gracie, to be inducted into the newly formed UFC Hall of Fame. Last week, we were lucky enough to have Ken take time out from a training session - another good thing - to jump on the MMAWeekly Radio with Ryan Bennett to discuss the Hall of Fame, Royce Gracie, his knee injury and his future in the sport.

Ryan: Ken, appreciate you jumping on the radio with us.

Ken: I appreciate you having me on.

Ryan: Let's break down the whole UFC Hall of Fame situation. Did Dana just call you up and say "Hey, Ken, we want you in the hall of fame." or what?

Ken: Yeah, he called me and we were talking about going up there November 21st and they were having this poll on their website, the people's favorite fighter of all time. And then, of course, the outstanding achievement award. He said, "We're going to do this Hall of Fame thing and we'd like to elect you as one of the first ones into the Hall of Fame. I went, "Wow."

You know, all the work that you do and all the things that you put together in life, the training, the ups and downs, the good times, the bad times, the championships and that stuff are all great, but when they say Hall of Fame, you know, that puts everything all in perspective. You know you'll always be appreciated and you'll never forget all the people that appreciate you.

Ryan: It's ironic that there are only two of you inducted and one of those is Royce Gracie. What do you think about being inducted with one of your biggest rivals?

Ken: Well, you know, Royce Gracie has done a lot, especially in the beginning, for this sport going the way it is. So, I think it's an honor to have a guy like Royce, who won four tournaments... the guy definitely earned the right to be in there. He's a great fighter, but he's one of those guys that just doesn't know how to close his mouth either. But, as far as the Hall of Fame, he deserves to go out of anybody.

Ryan: Ken, are you ever bummed that you didn't get one more shot at Royce?

Ken: Yes, I am very bummed. Especially with the things that I'm hearing now, that he's saying that I'm done and I'm washed up, you know, I can't fight no more. But, yet, he's not in there fighting.

Ryan: Do you think there will be any kind of words exchanged next week?

Ken: You know, if there is, it'll be in interviews and things like that. I think there's a place for that and you've got to try and keep it as respectful as possible, you know, because it is about being in the Hall of Fame. It's not about the fighting, it's about what you've done. Like I said, being in the ring, if anything is said, it could be volatile. [laughs]

Ryan: Let's talk about your health. Tell the fans how you're doing, what you've been up to.

Ken: Well, I had the injury for about a year and a half. I tore my ACL. Being hard headed and able to overcome any injuries that I've ever had, this one I wasn't able to overcome. I had to go in and get it fixed. I had the surgery, it's been about 2 months. The recovery is coming around very, very fast. My doctor says it's amazing because I came out of surgery on the 8th, a Monday, and I had very little swelling... Monday the surgery, Wednesday I was starting the therapy and by 2-3 weeks I had no swelling at all. So, it was pretty amazing the way that my body has come back and recovered. I'm ready to rock, right now I'm doing weights, trying to strengthen the legs, the thighs, trying to get the nerves firing again. So, everything is coming around a lot faster than I expected and even faster than my doctor's expected.

Ryan: Ken, it sounds like you had this injury against Tito, is that correct?

Ken: Yeah, I had the injury, probably... you know, I lost 2 fights in a row. I lost to Don Frye, which was a very close fight that went to a decision, I tore it before that fight. It was like 6 months prior to that fight that I tore my ACL and I didn't want to go in and get it fixed because I felt like I could overcome it. Strengthen the hamstrings and the calves and just ignore it and work on my standup and ignore my grappling. That was probably not a very smart decision because grappling is probably 90% of my arsenal.

Ryan: As a result, many people say that you probably should get another shot at Tito Ortiz. What's your take? Do you want to fight Tito Ortiz again?

Ken: Absolutely. That's probably the number one thing on my list besides a fight with Royce Gracie. I'd love to have a fight with Royce, but I've been trying to get that for many, many years and it isn't happening. I don't see it happening now. He'll talk, but he won't walk the walk. So, Tito Ortiz is really number one on my list along with Royce.

I don't know if Tito is up to it because when you get beat, it's hard to come back from that. Some people can't do it. I can. I come back hard, I come back strong. Tito Ortiz doesn't seem to be coming back very strong.

Ryan: When do you think you will be back in the Octagon again?

Ken: I'm hopefully looking at maybe January 31st. That's not for sure though, that's something that I'm shooting for. If it doesn't happen then, it will definitely happen two months after that.

Ryan: Any idea who you might face your first fight back?

Ken: No, I don't. I would definitely love it to be Tito Ortiz. I'm not one for warm-ups.

Ryan: Ken, do you have a few minutes that we can get a few questions from the fans on the MMAWeekly Live Fighter Chat?

Ken: Yeah, let's do it.

Ryan: With the Hall of Fame ceremony coming up there's usually family involved, speaking of that, what's your relationship with Bob Shamrock like these days?

Ken: Our relationship's good. He lives with me. He helps with my career. So, he will definitely be at the Hall of Fame. My kids will be at home watching it. They'll all be a part of it one way or another. Dad will be with me there. You can't put into words how I feel about this Hall of Fame. It wraps everything up that I've ever done all together.

Ryan: That's the best part, especially your Dad, he's the one that really helped you get through this, right?

Ken: Absolutely. Your parents are... you have your differences in life and you have your squabbles, and I don't think there's any family that don't, but you put it back together and you move on. That's just the way that things go. Me and my dad have had our squabbles, but I love my dad with all my heart and he loves me with all his heart and he's helped me get to the place that I've been and I won't forget that.

Ryan: How about Frank [Shamrock], do you talk with Frank at all?

Ken: Well, I haven't talked with Frank in a long time. There's nothing really bad between us. It's just that he's got other agendas in his life that he needs to attend to right now.

Ryan: Another question from the Live Fighter Chat, how's Guy Mezger doing?

Ken: That's a good question because I'm at Guy's school right now in Dallas. He's getting ready for a fight in Holland, so I'm down here and watching his training. He looks good. He's still in it and he's fighting different places now other than Japan. He's going to be fighting pretty soon.

Ryan: Another original Lion's Den guy, and he sure looked good in his comeback fight with Pedro Rizzo, Tra Telligman. He had Pedro in a lot of trouble in that fight early, didn't he?

Ken: Yeah, he knocked him out and Pedro, being the fighter that he is, has probably been in that position many, many times being a stand-up fighter. He shot on Tra and Tra was really shocked and he caught Tra with a double-leg and Tra sprawled out to get away and he tore his groin, reinjured it. That kind of worked against him, but he hurt Pedro several times with the cross and Pedro had to shoot which is something you don't see very often. I thought it was a great fight. Tra got cut, they stopped the fight. That's stuff that happens in these things.

Ryan: Back to the fans questions, how would you fight Tito differently next time?

Ken: [Laughs] Listen, it's like this, I got beat last time by a better fighter. This time, I'm going to go in there and do some things differently. I don't really want to say how I'm going to be doing things differently, but you go in and you learn from the fight. I had to overcome some things and this time I don't.

Ryan: Another question, has your stint in pro wrestling has contributed to your recurring injuries?

Ken: No, no, not at all, I tore my ACL after I got out of pro wrestling. I was training to fight Vovchanchyn in Pride and I was doing takedowns and I tore my ACL. I took some time out and started to strengthen it and all those things to not have surgery, but it hasn't worked out for me. So, I went in and got the surgery done.

Ryan: Ken Shamrock joining us live on MMAWeekly Radio. Ken, how about fighting Tank Abbott?

Ken: Umm... Okay. [Laughs] I ask for certain fights, but if I don't get them it doesn't matter. But I do ask for certain ones that I'd like to get, if I don't get 'em I'll fight whoever they put in front of me. I've always done that. I don't pick and choose. I'm not a paper champion. I've always done that. Whoever won the tournament, that's who I fought. There were some times that they threw some guys in there because whoever won the tournament didn't want to fight or whatever, but I've never ducked a fight. I've never said, "No, I'm not gonna fight this guy."

Ryan: A couple of guys want me to ask you about the rest of the Lion's Den guys, Pete Williams and Jerry Bohlander.

Ken: Pete Williams, I saw him last night. He looks good. He's not fighting. He's was thinking about doing chiropractic work and now he's thinking about being a chef. He's looking in other directions. His hearts not in it.

Jerry Bohlander, he's down in Napa. He's training people out of a gym down there in Napa, California. He's doing very well. His heart's not into fighting, but he does love to train people.

Ryan: Somebody wanted to know your thoughts about Randy Couture. What about fighting a guy like Randy Couture?

Ken: Sure.

Ryan: You're easy. You just want to fight anybody, don't you?

Ken: Yeah. There's certain people that I do want to fight. One of them's Royce Gracie and one of them's Tito Ortiz. I'm at a certain point in my career where it's not about the money. I mean, we all need to make money, but it's not about the championship belt, although the belt would be nice. But for me, it's just about closing stories and that story's been left open between me and Royce forever. With Tito Ortiz, it's a short story. It's been going on for about four years. We fought, we put an end to that chapter. I'd like to get a rematch just as Tito Ortiz wants a rematch with
Randy Couture.

Ryan: You started a promotion a while back. Is that done or are you going to pursue that some more?

Ken: Oh, the one in Atlantic City?

Ryan: Yeah.

Ken: We were talking about doing one. Instead of doing that, with the Ground and Pound people that I'm with, we decided to go after certain fighters and have them wear our clothing. Like, Matt Hughes wore it, Randy Couture wore it, and we've got Ricco Rodriguez in this next one. We've got a few other people that we're talking to about wearing it, but that's kind of the direction with the money. There is the possibility in the next year or so of putting on an event in Atlantic City again.

Ryan: Who do you think should be inducted into the Hall of Fame?

Ken: I think Dan Severn has to be one of them. He won the Ultimate Ultimate tournament and he won another tournament. He's definitely made a mark in history. It's hard to say. You know, Jerry Bohlander was the first light heavyweight champion back then it was middleweight. He won the tournament to be the very first one. Frank Shamrock, he's done a lot of great things in there. Randy Couture, who's not done fighting yet, but definitely made a mark, a statement at a late date in his life. I think that he's definitely deserving. And, of course, Tito Ortiz. He has probably the longest winning streak as champion in UFC history.

Ryan: You've seen this sport change so much, are there any fighters now that you like to watch compete?

Ken: I like B.J. Penn. He's got a good style, very patient, but yet explodes when he needs to. I like Randy Couture. He's just amazing. I like Ricco Rodriguez, he's exciting at times. I like Phil Baroni. I like his character and how he comes out. He's cocky but almost in a respectful way because after the fight's over it's over. I'll tell ya, there's a lot of them in there. It's hard to name them all. These guys come after each other and it's exciting to watch.

Ryan: I'm just gonna fire some names at you and you just tell me whatever comes to mind. Tank Abbott.

Ken: [Laughs] Out of shape.

Ryan: Dan Severn.

Ken: Beat up. He's got too many little fights. He should wait and take a big one.

Ryan: Royce Gracie.

Ken: Too much talking, not enough showing.

Ryan: Ken Shamrock.

Ken: Come back.

Ryan: Tito Ortiz.

Ken: Shut up. Put up.

Ryan: Vanderlei Silva.

Ken: Stud. All around fighter. Strong, quick.

Ryan: Minotauro Nogueira.

Ken: Outstanding skills.

Ryan: Mirko Cro Cop.

Ken: [Laughs] Dangerous.

Ryan: How about Chuck Liddell?

Ken: Oh man, back to the drawing board. He needs to find who he is.

Ryan: B.J. Penn.

Ken: Smooth.

Ryan: Who's the best fighter pound for pound right now?

Ken: Pound for pound, Matt Hughes. He's just so powerful and strong.

Ryan: Ken, I appreciate it man.

Ken: Thank you very much. It's the fans and people like you that make it all worth while

Ortega
20-11-2003, 15:20
Ken Shamrock kann in meine Augen gar nichts!! Ich kann es immer noch nicht fassen, daß er Bus Rutten zu tappen gebracht hat!! So rich