Chute Boxe in der UFC? Dana White interview [Archiv] - Kampfkunst-Board

PDA

Vollständige Version anzeigen : Chute Boxe in der UFC? Dana White interview

BJJ Fighter
31-03-2004, 10:47
The man of UFC

Recently, one of the most sought after professionals in MMA, the man who seems untouchable to many, Dana White, sat down with TATAME's American representative, Traci Ratzloff, to share his ideas on the role Brazilians play in the ultimate fighting world and more. President of the UFC since owners Lorenzo Fertitta and Frank Fertitta took ownership in January of 2001, White has helped to shape the Zuffa project into what many consider the "Superbowl" of MMA-only, to our relief the UFC is not once a year! With no hesitation, White passionately speaks about the UFC.

What is your history with MMA? When and how did your interest begin?

We became involved with MMA 4 ½ years ago. My background was boxing. I used to represent boxers, and I still, to this day, own two boxing gyms here in Vegas. 4 ½ yrs. Ago, Frank Fertitta and I were at the Hard Rock (in Vegas) and saw Kimo and John Lewis-Frank said, "I always wanted to learn submissions and try that (MMA)." I agreed. We decided to approach them, and eventually we began taking private lessons with John Lewis- Lorenzo (Fertitta) did too. Once we began training, we fell in love with the sport. Our eyes were opened, and we saw how much skill was involved. Later, we met Chuck (Liddell) and Tito (Ortiz). Chuck was having trouble getting into the UFC and Tito was having contract disputes. We went into negotiations with Bob Meyrowitz (former UFC owner) over Tito's contract-for a year! I heard one day he was interested in investors for the UFC-Fertitta and I contacted him.

What is the meaning of Zuffa?

"Zuffa" in Italian means "to fight." Zuffa is the name of the parent company of the UFC.

Is there any real chance of launching a show with the champions of the UFC and Pride fighting against one another?

The idea of it is dynamite, but logistically, working out the business details would be a nightmare. For example, where would it be located? Would they fight in an octagon or a cage? Who gets the gate? PPV sales? Etc.

Are you considering changing some of the UFC rules? Which ones and why?

No, I can't change the rules; that's up to athletic commission.

If you could, what rules would you change?

I think as people become more educated in the sport, I'd like to see knees to head on ground. It's a great way to defend, for example, when a wrestler sprawls.

Rudimar Fedrigo (from Chute Boxe) told TATAME he would like to have a Chute Boxe fighter debut in the UFC this year. Is that deal going on? Which fighter could this be?

He's a nice guy. I've talked to him a few times, but we haven't talked about anyone specific.

Why didn't the UFC reach a deal with Murilo Bustamante?

We gave him a phenomenal offer, and he declined.

In 1997, there was a UFC in Brazil, which had great success. When will there be another Brazilian edition of the most traditional MMA show in the world?

We've been talking about it. Vitor Belfort has been pushing me really hard on it.

When and with whom will be the next Belfort fight?

Vitor versus Couture. It's going to happen at end of summer, though we have no specific date yet. The winner of that fight will go on to fight the winner of the Liddell and Ortiz fight.

Is there any Brazilian fighter you would like to have fighting in your show?

Pedro Hizzo. Personally, I have a very good relationship with him. I have a lot of respect for him as a fighter and a person. [Recently], we really haven't talked (about having him fight in the UFC). I had constructed a contract with him back in the day, but things didn't work out. I like him very much professionally and personally. If there is one fighter I don't have on my roster that I want, it is him.

How are your dealings with Royce Gracie?

I have talked many times with him, but just never got anywhere.

How do you see the Brazilian contribution to the MMA world?

That's really where it all started. The Gracie family was very instrumental in the first UFC and in creating the UFC [altogether]. I see the UFC as the industry leader. The Brazilians have sort of forged the way for MMA in the United States and around the world.

From www.tatame.com.br.