Calzaghe faces Ashira in Cardiff [Archiv] - Kampfkunst-Board

PDA

Vollständige Version anzeigen : Calzaghe faces Ashira in Cardiff

ghostdog1982
19-08-2005, 19:36
Calzaghe faces Ashira in Cardiff

Calzaghe will fight in front of his home fans in Cardiff
Joe Calzaghe will make the 17th defence of his WBO super middleweight title against Evans Ashira in Cardiff's International Arena on 10 September.
Danish-based Kenyon Ashira is ranked 10th by the WBO and has lost just one of his 25 professional fights.

The bout is intended as a warm-up for Calzaghe before a planned unification bout with IBF champion Jeff Lacy.

Lacy's promoter told BBC Sport on Thursday that the deal for a 5 November fight will be signed early next week.

Said Gary Shaw: "My understanding is it will go ahead at the Excel Arena in London. The sight belongs to (Calzaghe's promoter) Frank Warren.

The talk is all about facing Lacy...but for now I'm focused solely on my title defence against Ashira

Joe Calzaghe

"Wherever he chooses he's going to find Gary Shaw and Jeff Lacy. We will be there on November 5th.

"I am drawing the contracts as we speak. My attorney is flying over this weekend and I hope for Frank to sign on Monday or Tuesday."

Of course, the unification fight will come to nothing unless Calzaghe extends his unbeaten record with victory over Ashira.

Ashira beat the previously unbeaten Quentin Smith in his last fight and Calzaghe says views him as "a dangerous threat to my title reign, unbeaten record and future".

The 33-year-old Welshman added: "The talk is all about facing Lacy and I'll deal with him next, but for now I'm focused solely on my title defence against Ashira.

"There's no way I'm going down the same road as Bernard Hopkins and Kostya Tszyu, both long reigning world champions, who took their eye of the ball and were looking at the big fights ahead of them and then lost."

Amir Khan will make his second professional appearance on the undercard against Baz Carey.

Belfast's Neil Sinclair and Cardiff's Lee 'Taz' Jones will also meet for the Vacant Celtic crown.

Pontypool's unbeaten welterweight Tony Doherty, Rhondda Valley light-welter Barrie Jones, Merthyr middleweight Kerry Hope and Newbridge light-welterweight Nathan Cleverley complete the card.
Quelle: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4689499.stm

ghostdog1982
19-08-2005, 19:42
Joe Calzaghe W 39 (31 ko's) | L 0 | D 0 | Total 39 WBO-Champion
Evans Ashira W 24 (13 ko's) | L 1 | D 0 | Total 25 Ex- WBA-International- Champion
Quelle. www.boxrec.com

Klaus
19-08-2005, 20:11
Ashira hat zwar den "ungeschlagenen" Quentin Smith geschlagen, aber wenn man sich mal dessen Rekord ansieht, dann sieht man da in den letzten 6 Kämpfen seiner Gegner fast ausschliesslich rot, sprich, die haben alle den Großteil ihrer letzten Kämpfe verloren. Scheint ein Konditionswunder zu sein, die meisten KOs kamen spät, wenn die Gegner nicht mehr konnten. Also eher ein nicht so starker Schläger. Gegen den einzig starken Gegner, Masoe, hat er gleich in der 2. Runde durch KO verloren.

ghostdog1982
19-08-2005, 21:30
Ashira hat zwar den "ungeschlagenen" Quentin Smith geschlagen, aber wenn man sich mal dessen Rekord ansieht, dann sieht man da in den letzten 6 Kämpfen seiner Gegner fast ausschliesslich rot, sprich, die haben alle den Großteil ihrer letzten Kämpfe verloren. Scheint ein Konditionswunder zu sein, die meisten KOs kamen spät, wenn die Gegner nicht mehr konnten. Also eher ein nicht so starker Schläger. Gegen den einzig starken Gegner, Masoe, hat er gleich in der 2. Runde durch KO verloren.
Stimmt ich denke auch da wird Joe nicht lange fackeln, sondern schnell Feierabend machen wollen, denn die Pubs haben ja nur bis 11 auf.:D

The Iceman
20-08-2005, 13:44
Jo, denke ich auch. Wenns dann gegen Lacy gehen sollte, wird das ganze natürlich sehr interessant.

Glasskinn
14-09-2005, 13:10
Hat jemand zufälligerweise den Kampf auf der Festplatte? Bei Eastsideboxing geht's ja gerade hochalbern her... :rolleyes: