Zeige Ergebnis 1 bis 10 von 10

Thema: ww2 karate

Registrierungsdatum

Standard ww2 karate

ich bin auf einen recht interessanten artikel gestossen, der sich u.a. mit karate zu zeiten des zweiten weltkriegs und in der damaligen nahkampfausbildung befasst.

ähnlich der bekannten mini-systeme zur nahkampfausbildung der aliierten a la fairbairn/applegate gab es natürlich auch auf japanischer seite derartige programme. oftmals basierten diese auf karate in komprimierter form und wurden von karate-instruktoren geleitet. es gibt diesbzgl. leider recht wenig brauchbares material, wo darüber mal etwas detailierter berichtet wird. eine der wenigen ausnahmen seht ihr unten, wo sogar kurz auf die bekannte nakano schule und die legendäre sakura squadron eingegangen wird:

Zitat Zitat von graham noble

The War Years and Special Training

Throughout the 1930s Japan was geared up as a wartime economy. Manchuria was annexed in 1932, the war with China began in 1936, and then in 1941 came Pearl Harbor and the entry into "The Great Pacific War". Many karateka were posted overseas, and the turnover of young students was heavy. Funakoshi recalled: "I would often hear a young man say, as he knelt before me: "Sensei, I have been drafted and I'm off to serve my country and my Emperor." Every day I would hear my students report to me in this fashion. They had been strenuously practicing karate day after day in preparation for hand-to-hand encounters with an unmet enemy, and they believed they were ready. . . Of course, many students died in battle, so many, alas, that I lost count of them. I felt my heart would break as I received report after report telling me of the deaths of so many promising young men. Then I would stand alone in the silent dojo and offer a prayer to the soul of the deceased, recalling the days when he had practiced his karate so diligently. I once asked Mitsusuke Harada who had been the karate instructors at certain university clubs during the war. He replied that because of the constant coming and going to the front it was impossible to say. How did karate change during the war? Well, the art has little relevance to modern warfare but it seems that the whole atmosphere of the times led to greater seriousness in training.

Taiji Kase, who trained at the Shotokan in the last year or so of the war, remembered that emphasis was placed on strong basics and intense practice of kumite (especially jiyu-ippon) with much physical contact. Kase, a person not given to exaggeration, described it as "very hard". Tatsuo Suzuki told me that the well rounded pre-war training gave way to practice on "fighting", and he stressed "fighting" rather than sparring (jiyu-kumlte). I had heard stories (without details) of Yoshitaka Funakoshi and Shigeru Egami teaching special troops during the war. I asked Harada sensei about this and he told me what he had heard.

The institution concerned was the Nakano School, a training school for military espionage analogous to our MI5. Trainees were on a one year course covering undercover work, guerrilla warfare and so on. Unarmed combat was also included and the original teacher for this was Morihei Uyeshiba (of Aikido). Uyeshiba himself was good but when the students tried to apply the techniques they couldn't make them work under real conditions. In a way, Aikido had too much "technique" for the limited one year of training. The military leaders decided to look at karate as an alternative, and they observed the different styles, such as Goju, Wado, and Shotokan.

Goju-ryu, with its heavy stress on sanchin training, did not seem to have the practical application necessary, at least in its initial stages, and Wado-ryu technique seemed too "light". However, the Shotokan style as demonstrated by Yoshitaka looked impressive, and he was asked to teach at the Nakano School. Unfortunately, he was too ill and it was Shigeru Egami who did the actual teaching. Egami concentrated on two techniques: choku-zuki (straight punch) and mae-geri (front kick), and when he began teaching a class he would pick out participants and tell them to attack him as hard as they could. In this way he was able to prove the validity of his technique. Injuries were frequent. Kicks were often delivered to the shins - and this was while wearing boots.

After the war Harada sensei met someone who had trained in these classes under Egami. He recalled one time when he had hardly been able to walk for a week because of such shin kicks. But injuries were no excuse for missing training. If someone was wearing bandages, they had to be removed. If a bad injury occurred, then no doctors could be called for during training. A hard rule, but no doctors would be present on the battle front. All in all, however, this "Nakano-ryu" was successful in achieving its objectives. The military was pleased with the results and Yoshitaka and Egami gained prestige from it. Something similar was recounted by Wado-ryu karateka Takatoshi Nishizono in a chapter he contributed to the 1977 book "Karate-do". (Sozo Co. Translation courtesy Ian McLaren and N. Karasawa). Nishizono began karate training when he entered Tokyo University in 1941. He became so wrapped up in karate that in fact he neglected his studies and his academic performance was poor. But after graduation he managed to get a job with the North China Transportation Company in Peking; a boring, routine job as he recalled.

In early 1945 however, he was summoned by head office and asked to take on a role as karate instructor to a Special Army Squadron in Taigen. Nishizono felt he was not really up to this but after he was told it was his duty he agreed:

"When I arrived at the special squadron I was introduced to the young Commanding Officer and the other officers. I was made aware of the aim and organization of the squadron but was ordered to keep it secret for security reasons.

"Taigen was the HQ of the 1st Army Group, North China, but our squadron consisted of only 250 volunteers, all of whom had distinguished themselves in battle. We usually wore normal military uniform with the Cherry Blossom badge, but when we began operations we changed into normal Chinese wear and we acted like ninja, carrying no weapons. We were an intelligence and guerrilla unit named "Sakura Squadron" We trained in horse riding, martial arts disguise technique and physical exercise. We never trained with swords or guns; it was required that the Sakura Squadron be able to defeat the opponent with bare hands, and this was why karate was selected.

"I began instruction immediately, on the first day. I was led to a building to be used as the dojo and found the whole squadron lined up, all stripped to the waist. They had superb physiques and sharp eyes. The commanding officer gave a briefing which included the words: "Our training must be real, just like a battle! So it may be that some of you will be killed!"

"That briefing was very effective in impressing the soldiers. Even though they were brave men, some said afterwards that it had made them feel uneasy.

"You cannot teach 200 men sufficient karate to defeat an enemy in one month if you rely on the normal methods of training. I made an instant decision and, selecting two soldiers who looked strong, ordered them to attack me using any technique they wished. They had no experience of karate so I was able to beat them easily; my kicking technique was enough. But they were very brave and continued to attack. But despite the briefing by the commanding officer I did not have the heart to attack the kintekki (testicles). I refrained from using that technique and using only sokuto I knocked them to the floor. After this the soldiers respected my ability and it was much easier for me to teach them.

"My method of training was a simple one. For punching (tsuki) I demanded that they strike to the enemy's face, and for kicking, that they attack the kintekki. For defense we used jodan-uke and gedan-barai. I trained them every day repeating these basic techniques many times. As training progressed the soldiers' stances became stronger. Then we moved on to hon-kumite--serious kumite.

"There was no stopping in our kumite and naturally some arguments arose during this practice. Also, as I could not easily oversee over 200 men I learned that when I was near they would go full force, but when my back was turned they took it easy. I knew that they were tired after their battlefield experiences and at first I pretended not to notice. However, my task was to train them to combat readiness in a month, so eventually I had to be hard with them. If I found anyone being idle I pulled them out and and fought them till they could no longer stand.

"They had all practiced judo, kendo and tsuken-jutsu (bayonet fighting) and were able to pick up karate technique quickly. After training we would take a bath. Some of the soldiers had powerful physiques and I was somewhat ashamed of my own small body.

"That month passed so quickly. All the soldiers trained hard and performed well. On the final day we said our farewells, the officers expressed their gratitude to me, and we had a party. Then I left Taigen and returned to Peking where life continued in the same way as before.

"I never found out what happened to the Sakura Squadron. I heard stories that they had been sent south on a mission and that all had been killed. The men who wore that Cherry Blossom badge were all from Northern Japan; they were so naive and kind. Now it all seems like a dream."
    quelle dieses auszugs: Master Funakoshi's KARATE by Graham Noble
    "If one of you can punch a hole through a shoji with just your ejaculation, then you'll be a real martial artist!" Morihei Ueshiba

IMA-Fan Gast

Standard

Interessanter Artikel aus dem sich sicher einiges herauslesen lässt!

mykatharsis Gast

Standard

Ich finde interessant, dass er die Leute mehr oder weniger direkt ins Sparring/Kumite wirft.

Registrierungsdatum

Standard

danke, sehr interessanter artikel!

irgendwo las ich mal, dass in einigen japanischen Universitätsclubs nach WW2 das karate training ziemlich hart und gnadenlos war. warum? viele ehemalige soldaten und offiziere dabei gewesen.
    mal sehen ob ichg das irgendwo finde.
    "Eternity my friend is a long f'ing time!"

mrx085 Gast

Standard

Da mich mich für den miltärischen Nahkampf und auch für Karate interssiere (werde Karate, sofern mir das Probetraining morgen zusagen sollte, als echte KK neben Krav Maga vielleicht sogar erlernen) ist der Artikel für mich höchst intessant.

Registrierungsdatum

Standard

gerade wiedergefunden, da kann ich diesen thread ja glatt sinnvoll wiederbeleben :

Zitat Zitat von carl cestari

Killing Combat" Karate....WWII style!

By Carl Cestari

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "...................On the evening of 10 August, Capt. Itezono Tatsuo called a meeting of around twenty shadow warriors engaged in guerrilla training. He informed them that, on the orders of senior air staff officer Colonel Sato Yoshinao, all officers involved in guerrilla warfare were to participate the next morning in the execution of eight American prisoners. Itezono further informed them that karate and arrows would be used. Lt. Yamamoto Fukuichi remarked how he wished to test his skill in karate on a prisoner........................"

"................The captors then practiced their martial-arts. When Itezono had asked for volunteers, several of the shadow warriors had begun warming up. One then stepped forward to strike several devastating karate blows to a prisoner, whose hands were pinned behind his back. The wounded man then lost his head to an officer's sword......"

Excerpts about the training of spies, saboteurs, and assassins of Japan's covert intelligence units during WWII. Graduates of the infamous "Nakano" school.

"Nakano-Ryu" Jissen Karate syllabus:

TSUKIWAZA:
    Chokuzuki- All blows to face and throat.
    a. Oizuki
    b.Gyakuzuki

KERIWAZA: All kicks to groin, knees and shins. ALL DOONE WITH HEAVY COMBAT BOOTS!
    a. Maegeri.
    b. Kintekigeri.
    c. Sokutogeri.
    d. Hizageri.

UKETEWAZA:
    a. Jodan Uke
    b. Gedan Barai

HEAVY emphasis on HON JIYU KUMITE. Full force contact "fighting".

Uyeshiba did INITIALLY teach at Nakano, BUT was dismissed in favor of Karate instructors Gigo Funakoshi, Shigeru Egami, and Okuyama. UYESHIBA'S "AIKI" METHODS DID NOT WORK UNDER REAL COMBAT CONDITIONS!

Little FORMAL training was given in Kenjutsu(kendo) and Judo(jujutsu) at the Nakano school. The military powers that be at the time were VERY IMPRESSED with Karate as the BEST form of unarmed combat for military/battlefield use, especially for the nature of covert/clandestine operations. The infamous SAKURA Squadron was TRAINED exclusively in Karate as a primary KILLING method of unarmed combat.

The Japanese arrived at the EXACT same conclusions as did WEF, Sykes, Applegate, and O'Neill. Hard, fast, powerful BLOWS and KICKS to vulnerable areas. NO BULLSHIT. Get IN and get the JOB DONE WITH as quickly and brutally as possible!

The Japanese military did employ a "dagger" design as a combat knife as well as the traditional so-called "tanto" design.

However, TANTO merely describes a "hand sword" NOT a particular "design", so TANTO-JUTSU can refer to ANY knife. The tanto design that is familiar to most is actually called a "kogatana".

Tanto-jutsu/Kaiken-jutsu usually mean "knife fighting technique" as we understand it. TANKEN-JUTSU refers to the use of the BAYONET as a knife. Similar to the original BIDDLE method. Bayonet as knife. This is taught as part of the JUKEN-JUTSU(bayonet fighting) syllabus.

HAYAI-SATSUJIN(or KOROSHI) is the idea of the immediate or sudden KILL. Along with ICHIGEKI-HISSATSU(one attack - one life) forms the MAIN guiding principle of Japanese military combatives.

The main method of KOGEKI(attack) is the THRUST. This is done with TWO hands.The TSUKI or thrust is couple with the KIRIHANASU or "disengage" which disembowels and releases the knife after the double handed thrust to the abdomen.

Ernie Cates related a story to me about Nakabayashi Sensei(who was hired under government contract to teach the USMC in the late fifties). Nakabayashi was very adament about using the combat knife blade FORWARD. The USMC at this time were teaching a "reversed" style and Nakabayashi CHANGED that first thing!

Elements of the original WWII knife system can still be seen today in the manuals of the GSDF on Toshu-Kakuto as well as those rare manuals on Juken-jutsu(though some have been reprinted).

Sada Sensei who served with the Japanese Naval commandos during WWII(among other assignments) used a knife in this two handed thrust/twist and slash/rip out manuever. Besides the fairly standard sentry removal type of attacks, the only other "technique" Sada thought was useful was a diagonal downward stab(ice pick grip) into the side of the neck or the subclavian. The knife was then GRIPPED with BOTH hands, twisted and ripped out ACROSS the neck/throat(practically severing the head). He also taught an upward forearm smash to the throat/chin followed by the thrust or the stab. Also kicking and kneeing attacks to the groin usually set-up the follow on killing attack with the blade. The also stated once that whenever feasible the enemy's head at the nape should be COMPLETELY severed to insure the KETTEITEKI NO GOROSHI or "decisive enemy kill".
    "If one of you can punch a hole through a shoji with just your ejaculation, then you'll be a real martial artist!" Morihei Ueshiba

Registrierungsdatum

Standard

Danke für das Ausgraben des alten Threads und für das Posten des neuen Artikels Mr Fister. Kannte den Faden bisher noch nicht ist aber überaus interessanter Lesestoff . Wollte schon immer mehr über die Art von Karate erfahren die man in der Nakano Schule gelehrt hat.

Registrierungsdatum

Standard

Hm, für das vorher die Hände des Gegners auf den Rücken Binden gab es ja alte Fesselkünste.
    Dafür hat die Zeit wohl auch nicht gereicht... sehe da eine kleine technische Lücke.

War halt Kopftraining. Angst unter Oppression in Agression münzen.

Kopfschüttelnd :

Das Gürteltier
    "We are voices in our head." - Deadpool

washi-te Gast

Standard

Gibt es zu dem zweiten Artikel auch ne Quelle?

kakedameshi Gast

Standard

Master Funakoshi's KARATE by Graham Noble

Der oben gepostete Ausschnitt beginnt irgendwo in der Mitte der Seite.

Der zweite Artikel:

https://de.scribd.com/document/19357...ilitary-Karate
    Geändert von kakedameshi (25-10-2016 um 16:32 Uhr)

Aktive Benutzer

Aktive Benutzer