3 Ioannis Antonopoulos Equipe Barrio

Medium Heavy

1 Malte Janssen Taifun Luta Livre
    2 Abner Lloveras Team Haubert
    3 Maurice Van Waeyenberghe Fight Fabrik/Team Adrenalin

Absolute

1 Abner Lloveras Team Haubert
    2 Ulf Ahlbrecht Kenpokan
    Geändert von Bruno Yamashita (18-08-2010 um 07:59 Uhr)

Bruno Yamashita Gast

Standard

I will write in English because it is easier for me to express myself and with tons of stuff going on and that I still have to take care of, it is much faster anyhow...

There was a bit of a confusion in the beginners Medium Heavy and Heavy weight classes, which led us to put all athletes in one weight class. For that we do apologize for the inconvenience. Because we don't want to let anyone be disadvantaged whatsoever, we have decided to re-do the results, which led to the following results:

- Medium Heavy: 3 first places
    - Heavy: First through third place

For those athletes who got the wrong medal (or those who didn't get a medal at all, which is the case of Guido Schlemmer), please send me your address via PN and we will send you your right medal.

Once more, we are sorry about the confusion. We do know that some other things need to be made better for next year, which we wrote down, as well as we know that some other things ran smoothly, like the awesome level of fights.

Anyhow, I am not here to justify or praise myself for mistakes and good stuff we might have done, but I guess that it was the first time that I've run a competition, and our main goal was to offer people cool fights and a chance of fighting against top opponents, at international level, which we did. Everything else is part of the learning process (believe me, once you think that you have thought about everything, it is when you realize that there is lots of stuff missing still), thus guys, please criticize, recommend, make suggestions and for the ego, do praise us as well . We know that we have made mistakes and need to improve at some points(we are not that arrogant to not have been able to realize it), but if you wanna say something be nevertheless constructive otherwise it is just pointless to bash down on us because it won't help us to make it better in the future.
    Geändert von Bruno Yamashita (18-08-2010 um 09:26 Uhr)

Bruno Yamashita Gast

Standard

one last thing... we did not forget about the Cage Films downloads, but we need to gather all the e-mail addresses from the competitors and send it over to our sponsor in England. We will rush the process as much as we can, and we ask you to please be patient!

Bruno Yamashita Gast

Standard

.... an one last thing.... (I think that I have said that before)

Thanks to all for participating!!! You made the tournament great!!!

Hope to see you next year!

Cheers,

Bruno

Registrierungsdatum

Standard

falsch:
    3 Martin Audorff Free Fight Hemelingen

richtig ist:
    3 Martin Audorff Sportschule Hamburg

wobei man da noch drüber streiten könnte, da der Referee Martins Gegner im ersten Kampf wegen eines unerlaubten Scissor Takedown schon disqualifiziert hatte, aber dann doch noch weiterkämpfen ließ und Martin mit einem (nicht so) straight foot lock (inkl. illegalem "reaping the knee") getappt hat.

Aber das Team bitte ändern!
    Wo liegt denn eigentlich Hemelingen? o.O
    verraten und verkauft

Ashkan Gast

Standard

Hemelingen ist ein Stadteil von Bremen.

Howard Kinnard Gast

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Bruno Yamashita Beitrag anzeigen

Once more, we are sorry about the confusion. We do know that some other things need to be made better for next year, which we wrote down, as well as we know that some other things ran smoothly, like the awesome level of fights.

Anyhow, I am not here to justify or praise myself for mistakes and good stuff we might have done, but I guess that it was the first time that I've run a competition, and our main goal was to offer people cool fights and a chance of fighting against top opponents, at international level, which we did. Everything else is part of the learning process (believe me, once you think that you have thought about everything, it is when you realize that there is lots of stuff missing still), thus guys, please criticize, recommend, make suggestions and for the ego, do praise us as well . We know that we have made mistakes and need to improve at some points(we are not that arrogant to not have been able to realize it), but if you wanna say something be nevertheless constructive otherwise it is just pointless to bash down on us because it won't help us to make it better in the future.
    Hey Bruno.

Yeah, let's take over the Forum with English.

First of all, thanks for organising the competition - I realise that it involved a lot of work, both in planning and on the day - I hope everyone respects the effort you put into everything.

I know that our team on Saturday (and I think the guys who came on Sunday did too, but haven't spoken to them yet) enjoyed ourselves, and we will support your competitions in the future, nonetheless there is room for improvement...and I am happy you are asking for critisism and ideas to better the competion next time around.

So, here goes

Referees.
    You did not have enough refs to cover the event, at least on Saturday this was the case. Once Oli left, I think Para reffed the rest of the fights himself - which meant that one mat was empty from 15:00 onwards. This although Vince (who is one of the best refs I know) offered his services. I think referees make or break a competition and the more (competant) Refs you have, the better. I have not problem with the quality of the reffing at the competition, there were a few questionable calls but thatis normal, just the fact that there were too few of them.

Weigh-ins.
    I don't know where to start here
    On Saturday, I saw no-one being weighed in - no-one.
    Although I am used to, and actually like the IBJJF way of weighing in before the first fight, I understand doing a mass weigh-in before the Comp starts, this tends to speed things up and allow organisors of smaller competitions to move people around the brackets if they don't make weight (I don't agree with this practice, as far as I am concerned if you don't make weight, tough luck, go home, but that is another matter). However, to weigh no-one really is unacceptable. Next time, make the manpower available to do it, please

Rules meeting.
    If there is the time, it can be nice to have these..especially if there is a large white belt division. Although, once again, I think it is everyone's personal responsibility (and their coaches) to know the rules...it doesn't hurt to explain a few things (reaping the knee, the legality of footlocks, etc)

First Aid.
    Was there a first aid crew present at the comp? I didn't see one (and as you know, could have maybe used one ) This should really be a no-brainer. Have trained people there in case of an emergency - also for your own liablility.

Bracket making.
    Use a bracket making software to generate the brackets. Don't allow team members to fight until last possibly time, which should be the final (and Teamcoaches - there is a reason the IBJJF only allow two fighters per Team in a bracket, if you want to field more fighters in a bracket, enter them as team a and team b, or something)

Starttime - Endtime
    Try and post a general idea of when brackets are likely to start. I know on Saturday there was some confusion as to which belts / weights were planned to fight when. There are ways to estimate the approx. time brackets take to run. Publish these, and don't start a bracket before the published time.

Crowd control
    Either let everyone get close to the mats, or let no-one (apart from maybe one coach per fighter). I know that I am also one of the worse examples of this :-)
    There is nothing worse than adhering to the request of the organisors and staying away from the mats, only to have my view blocked by the people ignoring the request. I do like to get close to the mats during smaller competitions and like the atmosphere for everyone the closer the crowd is....but as I said, try to make a rule, then enforce it :-)

Medal Presentations
    Allow for medal presentations to be made as soon as possible after the bracket hs finished. It doesn't matter how many medals you have won, it is still nice to stand there with the other medal winners and have your photo taken - either for your own reasons or for team advertisment. I didn't like that people were being handed their medals separatly upon request on Saturday, but can understand not everyone being able to wait until the end of the competiton. At the Gracies Invatitional this year, medals were handed our by the Refs directly as the bracket finals were finished - I didn't really like this, but was another way of doing it.

Warm Up area.
    The size of the warm up area was ok, but alway, the bigger the better. I feel it should have been placed away from the competition mats to allow people to warm up as-and-when they needed (us old guys need a really long time to get warm)

Competition T-Shirts
    Man, who doesn't love a nice competiton T-Shirt?

Final annouchments
    Let the public know when there is a final about to take place and who is fighting. It gets the crowd behind the fighters

Well, that is it for now :-)

I understand that a lot of this couldn't be done because of manpower issues, or becasue it just purely wasn't though of, but have brought it up so you can address it for next time.

Once again....I (and the rest of my teammates) really appriciate al the work you put into this competiton. Thanks and well done!

Matt

pelicanino Gast

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Howard Kinnard Beitrag anzeigen
    Hey Bruno.

Yeah, let's take over the Forum with English.

First of all, thanks for organising the competition - I realise that it involved a lot of work, both in planning and on the day - I hope everyone respects the effort you put into everything.

I know that our team on Saturday (and I think the guys who came on Sunday did too, but haven't spoken to them yet) enjoyed ourselves, and we will support your competitions in the future, nonetheless there is room for improvement...and I am happy you are asking for critisism and ideas to better the competion next time around.

So, here goes

Referees.
    You did not have enough refs to cover the event, at least on Saturday this was the case. Once Oli left, I think Para reffed the rest of the fights himself - which meant that one mat was empty from 15:00 onwards. This although Vince (who is one of the best refs I know) offered his services. I think referees make or break a competition and the more (competant) Refs you have, the better. I have not problem with the quality of the reffing at the competition, there were a few questionable calls but thatis normal, just the fact that there were too few of them.

Weigh-ins.
    I don't know where to start here
    On Saturday, I saw no-one being weighed in - no-one.
    Although I am used to, and actually like the IBJJF way of weighing in before the first fight, I understand doing a mass weigh-in before the Comp starts, this tends to speed things up and allow organisors of smaller competitions to move people around the brackets if they don't make weight (I don't agree with this practice, as far as I am concerned if you don't make weight, tough luck, go home, but that is another matter). However, to weigh no-one really is unacceptable. Next time, make the manpower available to do it, please

Rules meeting.
    If there is the time, it can be nice to have these..especially if there is a large white belt division. Although, once again, I think it is everyone's personal responsibility (and their coaches) to know the rules...it doesn't hurt to explain a few things (reaping the knee, the legality of footlocks, etc)

First Aid.
    Was there a first aid crew present at the comp? I didn't see one (and as you know, could have maybe used one ) This should really be a no-brainer. Have trained people there in case of an emergency - also for your own liablility.

Bracket making.
    Use a bracket making software to generate the brackets. Don't allow team members to fight until last possibly time, which should be the final (and Teamcoaches - there is a reason the IBJJF only allow two fighters per Team in a bracket, if you want to field more fighters in a bracket, enter them as team a and team b, or something)

Starttime - Endtime
    Try and post a general idea of when brackets are likely to start. I know on Saturday there was some confusion as to which belts / weights were planned to fight when. There are ways to estimate the approx. time brackets take to run. Publish these, and don't start a bracket before the published time.

Crowd control
    Either let everyone get close to the mats, or let no-one (apart from maybe one coach per fighter). I know that I am also one of the worse examples of this :-)
    There is nothing worse than adhering to the request of the organisors and staying away from the mats, only to have my view blocked by the people ignoring the request. I do like to get close to the mats during smaller competitions and like the atmosphere for everyone the closer the crowd is....but as I said, try to make a rule, then enforce it :-)

Medal Presentations
    Allow for medal presentations to be made as soon as possible after the bracket hs finished. It doesn't matter how many medals you have won, it is still nice to stand there with the other medal winners and have your photo taken - either for your own reasons or for team advertisment. I didn't like that people were being handed their medals separatly upon request on Saturday, but can understand not everyone being able to wait until the end of the competiton. At the Gracies Invatitional this year, medals were handed our by the Refs directly as the bracket finals were finished - I didn't really like this, but was another way of doing it.

Warm Up area.
    The size of the warm up area was ok, but alway, the bigger the better. I feel it should have been placed away from the competition mats to allow people to warm up as-and-when they needed (us old guys need a really long time to get warm)

Competition T-Shirts
    Man, who doesn't love a nice competiton T-Shirt?

Final annouchments
    Let the public know when there is a final about to take place and who is fighting. It gets the crowd behind the fighters

Well, that is it for now :-)

I understand that a lot of this couldn't be done because of manpower issues, or becasue it just purely wasn't though of, but have brought it up so you can address it for next time.

Once again....I (and the rest of my teammates) really appriciate al the work you put into this competiton. Thanks and well done!

Matt
    that pretty much sums it up...ur post covers all the issues i wanted to address as well...thx...

one last thing...please dont argue "well, at the mundials, they do this and that and whatever..." as u did at the event on sunday, on various occasions...truth to be told, ur not organizing a professional, smooth running event with well over 1000 participants...

nevertheless, i enjoyed competing and we will def attend again next year...

Bruno Yamashita Gast

Standard

Thanks Matt for the very constructive criticism. We did think about lots the stuff you’ve mentioned here, so I guess that we are definitely on the right track about making some progress for next years competition. We know that we can offer good level of fighting, as some of the top fighters who came said that they will be coming around next year as well, so we do the fine tuning here and will make it even better for next time.

I will post my comments in regards to each point that you’ve mentioned:

Referees.

We’ll get this fixed for the next event. We will have both areas covered from begin on (except for the higher ranking fights, like brown belts and above since we don’t get to see all that many of these around here). Fortunately lots of people have volunteered to come around next year to assist us.

Weigh-ins.

We did weigh-in on Sunday right at the beginning of the tournament, right at the beginning before fights started. We realized that it is quite unfair to those who struggled to beat the scale, to have them fight people who might have been above. For those who register in their respective weight divisions will have to make it to their weight before weigh-in, otherwise they will be automatically disqualified (it is a pain in the ass to have to rearrange brackets on the day of the tournament). I also like the was IBJJF does it, but it all depends on how big the comp is. As the comp gets (hopefully) larger, we might as well adapt to the way IBJJF does weigh-in.

Furthermore, we shall no longer put weigh-classes together on the day of the comp. We did enough advertising all around Europe to try to get people to come over, and athletes can’t blame organisation if you as an athlete end up having only one fight. People, we cannot be held responsible if someone does not show up at the competition. In addition, putting weight divisions together is also disrespectful towards those athletes who prepared themselves correctly to fight in a lower weight division (it is a painful lesson we had to learn on the day). People in different weight-divisions shall meet only at absolute.

Rules meeting.

Will be done next time.

First Aid.

Will be done next time for sure. Unfortunately it was too late when we called over people to do it and no one was available to assist us with this

Bracket making.

We will make sure that we will have this software next time. The problem this time was lack of compatibility from the software with the operating system of our laptop (we’ve tried it).

Starttime - Endtime

This one is hard to predict, and probably won’t be done. We’ll see about it.

Crowd control

We will definitely do some crowd control next time and have enough people and physical barriers to let it happen.

Medal Presentations

You can’t avoid 100% not giving out medals separately if people are in a rush to get their flights after winning. Nevertheless we will put an effort not to get medal presentation hours later. And we will make sure that it looks nicer as well.

Warm Up area.

I think the same way you do. The idea behind putting the mats for warm up separately was to have people step on the mat straight on after the other fight is over. I guess it won’t make much of a difference if we make it differently.

Competition T-Shirts

I agree with you. Next time we will guarantee a special price on a comp t-shirt for the first 50 who register and have more to the rest of the participants.

Finals annouchments

This was lacking a bit on Saturday and was done on Sunday (when I didn’t have the microphone and ended up having to shout out peoples names all day long).

Further points that weren’t mentioned here:

We shall have the competition be held in the city center or at least very close to a major train stop (so that people won’t have to depend on unreliable buses to come around)

Catering

What did you guys think about the food this time? Prices, quality, friendliness of the people?

If you have further suggestions and constructive criticism about something that wasn’t mentioned here, help us to make improvements and have ideas for next time. We did put still a lot of effort into getting this tournament going and we will put lots of effort to make it awesome! Thanks to all for posting.

Bruno Yamashita Gast

Standard

Zitat Zitat von pelicanino Beitrag anzeigen
    that pretty much sums it up...ur post covers all the issues i wanted to address as well...thx...

one last thing...please dont argue "well, at the mundials, they do this and that and whatever..." as u did at the event on sunday, on various occasions...truth to be told, ur not organizing a professional, smooth running event with well over 1000 participants...

nevertheless, i enjoyed competing and we will def attend again next year...
    Thanks for coming over and making a very good no gi advanced competition for us. We are looking forward to seeing you again.

In regards to the Mundial stuff, Ok, compared to them we are David and they are Goliath, but still we will work harder to make it more professional and eliminate mistakes little by little every year. I am not saying that we will have the largest event in Europe, but we definitely want to let people know what they are coming over for. We want to make the event attractive enough for people from abroad to come and participate, as we all can profit from this exchange. The first step was done with all the promotion we did all over Europe (otherwise we wouldn't have had an awesome international purple, brown and black belt division on saturday and you guys wouldn't have had such hard opponents on Sunday).
    Geändert von Bruno Yamashita (19-08-2010 um 12:55 Uhr)

Registrierungsdatum

Standard

Zum Thema "Erste Hilfe" einfach mal Bescheid geben. Zwar habt ihr da einen großen Fehler in der Organisation gemacht, wenn ihr selber aufgrund Zeitmangels keine Rettungsdienste beim Turnier garantieren könnt, aber in unseren Reihen haben wir einiges an medizinisch ausgebildetem Fachpersonal. Aufm Land dauert es immer ein bisschen länger, dass Rettungsdienste vor Ort sind.

Zu den anderen Dingen wurde ja schon alles wichtige gesagt.

Für mich nicht nachvollziehbar war allerdings die Verspätung mit der das Turnier gestartet hat. So musste ich wieder alleine nach Hamburg zurück ohne dass ich einer meiner beiden Kämpfer coachen konnte.
    verraten und verkauft

Howard Kinnard Gast

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Bruno Yamashita Beitrag anzeigen

Starttime - Endtime

This one is hard to predict, and probably won’t be done. We’ll see about it.

We shall have the competition be held in the city center or at least very close to a major train stop (so that people won’t have to depend on unreliable buses to come around)

Catering

What did you guys think about the food this time? Prices, quality, friendliness of the people?

If you have further suggestions and constructive criticism about something that wasn’t mentioned here, help us to make improvements and have ideas for next time. We did put still a lot of effort into getting this tournament going and we will put lots of effort to make it awesome! Thanks to all for posting.
    Hey Bruno.

Starttime-Endtime:

Maybe not as difficult as it sounds: here is a breakdown by Dave Coles (undoubtably the master in on-time BJJ comps) in answer to the comment that "a two hour wait is not uncommen and often unavoidable";

Making a statement like that you clearly have no idea whatsoever about organising a competition.

Please allow me to explain how simple it is to run an event on time.

Firstly you need to construct a timeline as follows:

If there are e.g. 16 in a category this = 16 fights.

Assuming it is the -64kg white belt category, you allow 6 minutes per fight (some will end quickly some will go to time) but on average it will take about 6 minutes (it can be done quicker but that takes highly organised table staff who keep the mat running).

So 16 fights x 6 minutes = 1 hour 36 minutes.

So on your timeline you state

White Belt -64 starts e.g. 10.30 ends 12.06

The next category can be given a predicted start time of 12.06

A simple excel spreadsheet will do all the calculations for you.

It really is not rocket science.

Obviously there are things that can go wrong that are out of the organisers hands, but employing the principle of the 6 P's will cover most eventualities and ensure your event runs close to time.

______

Dave also suggest following some further rules which may be of help:

______

From an organisational perspective.
    Start and finish the event on time and don't have people hanging around all day.

Maybe book in and fight the lighter weights in the morning and the heavier weights in the afternoon.
    Set your closing date at least a week before the event so you can get all the paperwork sorted out well in advance.

Post up the brackets and times a few days in advance.

Use Eventbrite of similar for online registration, it will save you lots of time. Eventbrite gives you all the competitor data in a spreadsheet, a few clicks on the sort command and the categories are 'sorted'

Work out how many competitors you can cater for in advance and stick to that number
    ´

Also, to work our how many fighting areas you will need, Dave says;

the following example will give you an idea on how to estimate how many mat areas you need. It also helps to run your event on time, and can be posted to give the competitors an indication of when they are going to be fighting and on which mat.

This example assumes the following
    there are 16 competitors in each category (timings for other numbers at the end)
    you are using straight knock-out
    the table staff know how to run a table
    there is a 5 minute turn around between fights (because of the longer contest time, you may need to allow more for Blue, Purple, Brown and Black belt categories)

MAT 1
    Category Start End
    under 57 kg 10:00 - 11:20
    under 64 kg 11:20 - 12:40
    under 70 kg 12:40 - 2:00
    under 76 kg 2:00 - 3:20
    under 82 kg 3:20 - 4:40
    under 88 kg 4:40 - 6:00

So you can get through 96 competitors per mat area starting at 10.00 and finishing at 6.00. Provided the mat is in constant use.

What Can Go Wrong!

The event doesn't start on time
    Sheets not organised
    Table staff don't know what they are doing
    Fighters not called and ready for the next fight - an extra 1 minute delay between each fight will result in an end time of 7.30 for that mat.
    Fighters wandering away from the table when their category is on and the table staff not being able to find them.
    Fighters not having correct kit/belt/rash guards on etc
    The referee giving a rules talk before each individual fight, again if this is done it will add 1 minute per fight and an extra hour and a half to the category.
    Not having the competitors weighed-in and ready to start once the previous category has been completed.
    The referee has one of his students fighting on another mat and so his mat comes to a stand still as he goes off to watch
    Not having enough table staff and refs to ensure the mat keeps running.

Timings for other numbers

For any number in a category multiply the number of fighters x 5 minutes
    e.g.
    32 in category = 32 fights x 5 minutes
    12 in category = 12 fights x 5 minutes

If you are using the repechage system the timings are just about doubled for each category.

______

I think Dave limits his comps to 100 people - does mostly white-belt only comps - and he sells them out weeks in advance! Here is a link to his site:Hereford Open

Yes, it was a bit out in the sticks. But I know that you didn't want to take on the financial outlay to hire a place in the city before knowing how many people might be coming. For next year you can plan a bit easier.

Catering
    I though the caterers were ok this year. Nice people. Nice selection, athough I wouldn't have touched the runny Acai
    But then again, after making weight, I would gladly pay 50€ to eat a lump of scabby camel, so I am not the best person to comment on the catering

Cheers,
    Matt

Bruno Yamashita Gast

Standard

Hi Matt,

in regards to 1) starting the comp on-schedule and 2) somehow predict how much time it would take until divisions start:

1) Comp begin will be taken more seriously next time as people will have to register prior to the deadline so that brackets and everything else can be organized ahead of time. I definitely understand that people weren’t amused about it. Sorry guys!
    2) We can always mention an estimate on when people will be on the mat, but as things happen/go wrong, we also need understanding from the participants. For instance, I fought at the Süddeutsche this year and my division was two hours late as originally planned. It’s not that I was 100% ok about, but I took in consideration that 50 athletes showed up additionally on the day without having registered before, so that it was impossible for the organizers to stick to the schedule. Some people got really pissed off at them. I guess this can be avoided if registration on the day is out of question.

Thus, point 1) is definitely valid and it should be respected. Point 2) is nice to have, but then again you need people’s understanding if stuff goes wrong.

Cheers,

Bruno

Bruno Yamashita Gast

Standard

Zitat Zitat von MatzeOne Beitrag anzeigen
    Zum Thema "Erste Hilfe" einfach mal Bescheid geben. Zwar habt ihr da einen großen Fehler in der Organisation gemacht, wenn ihr selber aufgrund Zeitmangels keine Rettungsdienste beim Turnier garantieren könnt, aber in unseren Reihen haben wir einiges an medizinisch ausgebildetem Fachpersonal. Aufm Land dauert es immer ein bisschen länger, dass Rettungsdienste vor Ort sind.

Zu den anderen Dingen wurde ja schon alles wichtige gesagt.

Für mich nicht nachvollziehbar war allerdings die Verspätung mit der das Turnier gestartet hat. So musste ich wieder alleine nach Hamburg zurück ohne dass ich einer meiner beiden Kämpfer coachen konnte.
    Danke fürs Angebot!

Mit der Verspätung haben wir daraus gelernt, und wir möchten diese, wenn nicht möglich sein sollte ganz zu vermeiden, zumindest sehr stark reduzieren.

DocDog Gast

Standard

Hi Bruno,

mach Dir nichts drauß. Solche Sachen gehören dazu. Gerade bei der Verspätung wäre eigentlich von den Teilnehmern zu erwarten, dass sie diesbezüglich mitarbeiten.

- Rechtzeitiges Anmelden und nicht erst am Kampftag. (Bei der NDM BJJ Ende November werden wir dieses Jahr definitiv 2 Tage vorher dicht machen!)

- Abmelden, wenn man sieht, dass man nicht mehr kann. Da muss man dann vor Ort keine Poollisten mehr umstellen.

- Gleiches, wenn sich bei Gewicht- oder/und Gurtklasse was ändert.

Und wir werden doch alle besser Einige Kritiken sind wichtiger als andere. Z.B. unbedingt Sanis! Wir haben jetzt mit einem Sanitätsdienst eine Kooperation für unsere kompletten Veranstaltungen.

Freut mich auf jeden Fall, dass euer Auftakt gut gelungen ist.

Beste Grüße,
    Doc

Aktive Benutzer

Aktive Benutzer