Zeige Ergebnis 1 bis 3 von 3

Thema: Igor interview

BJJ Fighter Gast

Standard Igor interview

Q: Pål Johnsen
    A: Igor Vovchanchyn

Pål Johnsen: As one of your biggest fans I am very proud to be able to make this interview, I thank you for taking time to do this.

Igor Vovchanchyn: You are most welcome.

Pål: Tell me a little about your past.

Igor: I was born on August 6, 1973 in a village near the city of Kharkov (the second biggest city in Ukraine). I spent my childhood an my teens there enjoying all kinds of mischief and street fighting. At the age of about 17 I took up boxing, then in the middle of 90-s we had a boom of kickboxing in Ukraine and I practiced it, sort of half-heartily. I even became the world kickboxing amateur champion in Denmark in 1994 (IAKSA rules) but I could not help being unsatisfied, feeling being robbed of fun. It was only in the second half of 90-s when I had discovered free fighting and vale tudo and ultimate that I understood what was my vocation. After that I followed my calling steadily till I got to PRIDE.

Pål: How tall are you?

Igor: 176 cm, not so tall as you see. Sometimes it's a problem during fighting.

Pål: What do you like to do for fun?

Igor: I used to do many things for fun till last October. Now it's all over and done with. My small daughter Zlata (means "golden girl") has all the time I can spare. It's the greatest fun for me !

Pål: What kind of music do you like?

Igor: Hard rock and ..... thieves' cant. Believe me, the russian style thieves' cant is SOME music!

Pål: I also heard some rumours about you training with Fedor for the RED DEVIL TEAM. Is this a fact, and how's this working out for you?

Igor: From time to time I do some training with Fedor Emelianenko because he lives in the part of Russia which is close to Kharkov, the city I live now.

Pål: Your last loss was to the bigger fighter Mirko Crocop. It was a very ugly knockout and it was awful to watch. How was it to return to your training after that?

Igor: Every time I remember it I can't help feeling angry with myself for falling such an easy prey to him. I was in excellent condition at that time, it was my strategic error. Well, psycologically I am OK now and ready to fight him again.

Pål: What kind of weight division will you fight in from now on?

Igor: I am 99-100 kg now, feeling comfortable like this.

Pål: You have a great heart when it comes to fighting, but you are also very humble. How can you be such a animal in a cage or a ring and be so nice outside?

Igor: I have had to answer this question many times. I am what you'd call "cool fish". It's not always an easy thing for me to whip up aggressive feelings when I enter the ring. In the course of time, gaining experience I learnt how to do it but I never loose my head and this is rather an advantage, isn't it ?

Pål: If you could change one thing in a fight you did in the past, what would it be?

Igor: It would be being damned less stupid facing Mirko in my last fight.

Pål: I heard that you have a restaurant. What kind of food do you serve, where is it located and what is it called?

Igor: It's a small place I am having with my partners. Rather modest affair, a few tables, drinks and snacks rather than square meels. It is located in the central area and I am changing the name now. I want it to be ZLATA.

Pål: A lot of us fans visit your website, http://www.vovchanchyn.kharkov-ua.com/index.htm, How come they never update that site anymore?

Igor: As things were lately didn't feel like updating it. Sorry.

Pål: We have posted about this interview on some online mixed martial art forums. We asked a lot of fans to make qusestions for you. Here are some questions we picked out:

1: Do you have any fights left on your pride contract?

Igor: Sorry, my contract terms are confidential. However you'll see me in the nearest PRIDE, that's for sure.

2: Have you had the opportunity to see "The Smashing Machine"? If so, what are your thoughts of the movie and of Mark Kerr after seeing it?

Igor: Sorry, I haven't. ZLATA (my newly born daughter) is my smashing machine now.

3: What was in your opinion the toughest opponent you ever faced?

Igor: Mark Coleman.

4: What is Quinton Jacksons strength like?

Igor: Nothing special, though he is a top fighter of course.

5: Will we ever be able to see you fight in the United States?

Igor: Frankly speaking I am not too eager to fight in the States but one never knows.

6: Where do you like to go on vacation?

Igor: To Crimea, the Black Sea coast in Ukraine. It's very beautiful.

7: Are you the only one in your family who is into fighting?

Igor: I am. I saw to it. I made sure my girl-friend (my wife now) was a doll of a woman and very quiet too.

8: Who do you find the the most exiting fighter in mma today?

Igor: Hard to say, I like many fighters but none of them strikes me as something very special and exciting.

9: Do you have any funny stories from when you grew up?

Igor: As a matter of fact I do. They were fully covered by mass media. The Japanese especially gloat on them. Here is one of them: In my teens I was fond of street fighting and sometimes I got so excited and aggressive that my fellow-villagers were afraid of me. So they tied a steel rail to the branch of a huge tree which grew in the middle of the village and hit it, raising alarm every time I flew into a rage. On hearing the sound everybody locked up leaving empty streets and waiting till I cool down....

10: Would you ever fight Wanderlei Silva as a Light Heavyweight or even for the Light heavyweight belt?

Igor: It depends. My manager and I are open to consider any offer of fight.

SIT-MMA Gast

Standard

Wie groß ist die Wahrscheinlichkeit einen Kampf zwischen Vovchanchyn vs Fedor zu sehen? Eher gering bis gar nicht, oder?
    Wen der beiden haltet ihr für besser?

BJJ Fighter Gast

Standard

Ich halte einen solchen Kampf für sehr unwahrscheinlich und denke, dass Fedor gewinnen würde (größere Reichweite, mehr Gewicht und bessere Submissionfähigkeiten)...

Aktive Benutzer

Aktive Benutzer