Zeige Ergebnis 1 bis 6 von 6

Thema: Roy Harris über das was er in über 20 Jahren BJJ gelernt hat

Registrierungsdatum

Standard Roy Harris über das was er in über 20 Jahren BJJ gelernt hat

Someone recently asked me what insights I had learned along my journey in Jiu Jitsu. Here was my response:

Here are a few of my thoughts / insights:

#1 - Jiu Jitsu is a sport and a hobby. It is supposed to be fun - even when things don't go your way. Unfortunately, too many students lose sight of this fact. What's even worse is that too many instructors lose sight of this fact.

Yes, it is important to learn, grow and progress. However, once the tap becomes the most important thing on your mind, Jiu Jitsu is no longer a hobby and can quickly turn into a self-centered pursuit - where the practitioner no longer cares about the community that surrounds them or the instructors that helped them obtain the skill sets they currently own. So, keep it real but keep it fun - for everyone, including the guy who you can tap all day. Let him into the game. Let him have fun!

#2 - Focus on your basics! Try not to become too enamored with the Rubber guard, the Tornado guard, the Godzilla guard, the Watermelon guard or the flying omo plata as a white or blue belt. These methods - while good in certain instances - are not designed for longevity. Your basics are designed for longevity!!! Besides, everybody who leaves their basics eventually returns to them - EVERYBODY!

#3 - While you develop your skill sets in Jiu Jitsu, develop your friendships as well. Why? Because some of these friendships will outlast your skill sets in Jiu Jitsu. Yes, yes. I know some of you THINK you will be doing Jiu Jitsu for the rest of your days, but trust me when I say this:

Life has many changes in store for you. AND, your current feelings are no indicator of how things are going to turn out in your life!

So, work on those friendships - because some of them will take you farther than your Jiu Jitsu!

#4 - Learn to set limits, as well as say "No" at times. Here are a few examples:

A. When that new wrestler asks to spar with you - the one who hurts everyone because he doesn't have as much control over his body as he thinks he does - politely tell him, "No thanks."

B. When you have an important presentation at work tomorrow, don't try out the new MMA class and take the chance on getting hurt - or worse, getting a black eye. Wait awhile before trying out the new class. Put what pays the bills ahead of what sounds fun!

C. It's Thursdsay evening. Tomorrow night, you and your girl are going out on a special date. Don't take a chance with sparring. Learn the techniques your instructor taught and then politely remove yourself from class. Don't take the chance of getting hurt - or getting one of those VISUAL injuries (one that she will have to look at all night. or worse, one that she might have to explain to friends or family members).

I hope these four insights will help many of you enjoy more of your time with Jiu Jitsu!

Tschüß
    Björn Friedrich

P.S.: Roy ist jetzt 5th degree Blackbelt unter Joe Moreira und somit der höchstgraduierte Amerikaner oder sogar Nicht-Brasilianer im BJJ

Registrierungsdatum

Standard Roy Harris

Cool,

feine Tipps,

sounds like the voice of reason!

Pustekuchen Gast

Standard

Also in andern Worten: Hab' Spass und sei nicht so verbissen.
    Klingt gut!

Danke Bjoern!

Sokolo Gast

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Björn Friedrich Beitrag anzeigen
    C. It's Thursdsay evening. Tomorrow night, you and your girl are going out on a special date. Don't take a chance with sparring. Learn the techniques your instructor taught and then politely remove yourself from class. Don't take the chance of getting hurt - or getting one of those VISUAL injuries
    Ach was, Frauen stehen auf verwegene Typen mit Veilchen.

SSebi1 Gast

Standard

und blumenkohl ohren

Team Serious Fighter Gast

Standard

leider habe ich ihn nie kennengelernt (bis jetzt)
    dafür aber joe moreira - richtig gutes jiu jitsu, so wie es sein soll!

keep it real, have fun and dont get to fancy with ur moves

Aktive Benutzer

Aktive Benutzer