Zeige Ergebnis 1 bis 7 von 7

Thema: Hello from Roy Harris

Roy Harris Gast

Standard Hello from Roy Harris

Hello everyone, Roy Harris here.

I wanted to write to let you all know what a wonderful time I am having
    here in Germany. This is my sixth trip to Germany. The seminar host,
    Mr. Björn Friedrich, has been a great host. He has provided me with a
    great hotel, fantastic food and plenty of downtime to rest and relax!

I arrived in Frankfurt on Tuesday morning at 7:30am. Björn and his
    lovely girlfriend, Anita, picked me up from the airport. From there, he
    dropped me off at the hotel for a short time before he and I began our
    private training together! Finally, after training, we chatted for a long
    time at a local restaurant.

Wednesday, we began the semi-private training with nine guys. We
    trained for a total of thirteen hours and thirty minutes between Wednesday
    and Friday. During that time, I had a chance to teach the an entire
    series of related techniques:

1. Six individual postures from the side mount.
    2. Theory: Understanding timing and awareness as they relate to
    posture.
    3. Timing the individual postures.
    4. Putting the different postures together into simple combinations.
    5. Three closed guard control positions (right side and left side).
    6. Three entry positions for the control positions.
    7. Theory: Understanding the progression and structure of training.
    8. Triangle choke escapes.
    9. Straight arm lock escapes.
    10. Bent arm lock escapes.
    11. Constructive and progressive sparring with the above techniques.
    12. A review of all techniques and several Q and A sessions.

I filmed all of the techniques and will be making an instructional
    CD-ROM for Björn and the students who attended the semi-private training
    session. This semi-private training session will be a memorable one for
    those who attended. Not only did they receive a ton of good
    information, but we all had a chance to talk about a variety of topics (some
    related to theabove, others totally unrelated). Additionally, the free
    instructional CD will help them to retain the information! (This is
    something no other BJJ instructor on the planet does for his long distance
    students!)

Today was the first day of the seminar. The entire day was dedicated to
    arm locks: Straight arm locks and bent arm locks. I gave these seminar
    attendees my all. I not only taught them the basic methods of
    performing the arm locks, but I also taught them some of my bread and butter
    methods! It was nice to see all of the smiles and hear all of the
    "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs" and "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmms!"

It is now Saturday evening. We will be headed back to the hotel soon. I
    just wanted to drop by and say hello to everyone and let you all know
    what was going on.

Before I go, I want to leave you with two more pieces of information:

1. I will make myself available for questions between tonight and
    tomorrow afternoon (Sunday). If you ask a question, I will try to answer it.
    So, if you have questions about JKD, Filipino Martial Arts, Kalis
    Ilustrisimo or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, please ask and I will spend some time
    answering it between now and Sunday evening.

2. I will return to Germany two more times this year: During the first
    week of September and the last week of November.

Well, take care. Good training to all of you!

Roy Harris

www.royharris.com
    pfs@sprintmail.com

Henry Gast

Standard

Dear Mr.Harris,
    first of all: welcome to Germany!
    I have a question regarding BJJ. I heard that you are teaching BJJ mainly without the Gi; at least here in Germany if I am correct.....
    Don't you think that it is extremely important to train with the Gi/Kimono to really learn BJJ. In Brazil every beginner starts training with the Gi; so the foundation is always Gi BJJ. I trained for quite some time with ADCC 2003 winner Marcelo Garcia and his main training is with the Gi although he can adapt his techniques perfectly to the ADCC rules.
    I read on the internet that you had some problems with your fingers; was this the reason to focus more on no-gi BJJ?
    Personally I prefer to train with the Gi because the technical range of techniques is by far greater than in no-gi BJJ (it is a lot of fun to try fancy Spider Guard sweeps and so on...)
    Thanks,
    Henry (Alliance BJJ)

Tobias Blaschke Gast

Standard CD-Rom on techniques

Hi Roy,

it is great to hear from you and your training. I did not have the opportunity to participate in year training. However, I am very much interested in your CD-Rom. Is it strictly resereved for the stundent who took part in your seminar or to you intend to sell it to others, too?

Tobi

Small is big,
    old is young,
    weak is strong.
    There is neither 'above' nor 'below' in the universe!
    Mao-Tse-Tung-Do, verse 23

BJJ Fighter Gast

Standard

Hi Mr. Harris!

I hope I´m not too late- It´s a pitty that I couldn´t take part in your training sessions this weekend- but unfortunately my ankle is injured. I was thinking about watching your instructions but I guess I wouldn´t have been able not to take part in your classes (actively).

Anyway, I have a couple of questions concerning some of the instructeurs you´ve been working with and about some MMA fighters. I´m not sure if you will answer those because they´re not really about the sport but about fighters themself.

What do you think about Rickson´s skills? There are probably many people asking you and it might be getting on your nerves but still- why is he not fighting high ranked fighters as the rumour is spread that he´ll fight another no name japanese fighter this year in K1 MMA?! I just don´t get it- is his confidence in himself not big enough and what about his ideas he tried to present to all of us with his documentary „choke“?

I don´t know if you have followed the Pride FC lately but if so- what do you think about Fedor, what about the Nog bro´s, Saku and Wanderlei´s ground skills? Have you or any of your students ever taken part in MMA events- what do think about the evolution of this sport?

Well, there´d be much more to ask- but I´m not quite sure if you were expecting those kind of questions- I´d be very pleased if you answered at least a couple of them.

Thank you very much and I´m sure that you´re a great instructeur by everything I heard- keep the dedication for the sport and people themself and good luck for you, your family/friends and students...

God bless

Niels

Roy Harris Gast

Standard

Hello Henry,

Thanks for writing.

To answer your questions:

1. "Don't you think that it is extremely important to train with the Gi/Kimono to really learn BJJ?"

My answer is Yes and No. You must remember that BJJ is a highly personalized art. Some people practice it for fun, some for sport, some for self-defense and some as a combination of all of these. What may be preferred by one person is not preferred by all.

Some instructors emphasize the gi, others don't. I teach both to my students. However, I do not require them to take one or the other. I allow them to choose. Because I have a lot of experience with both the gi and no gi, I can teach both of them efficiently and effectively. When I teach BJJ to my clients all over the world, I allow them to dictate their training. If someone wants to focus on no gi training, I will train them no gi. If another student wants to train with the gi, I will train them with the gi.

Training the gi is only important to those students (or instructors) who emphasize the gi. Training with the gi is not necessary to learning BJJ. Let me repeat that: TRAINING WITH THE GI IS NOT NECESSARY TO LEARNING BJJ. Yes, there are a lot more fancy techniques with the gi, and collar chokes do exist. However, all of the same basic techniques exist regardless of whether the gi is present or not.

Two final points: You must remember that all styles of martial art had a beginning. You must also remember that all styles go through a period of change when they become absorbed into another country or culture. BJJ has been popular in America for about 15 years. In those 15 years, it has gone through tremendous changes. These same changes will occur in Europe. It is only a matter of time.

2. "I read on the internet that you had some problems with your fingers; was this the reason to focus more on no-gi BJJ?"

Yes, my arthritis did have something to do with my focus on no gi training. However, the fact that I am primarily a JKD fighter (who lives in a warm climate all year round) influenced my training more so. In Southern California, the day time temperatures (near the ocean) range between 14 and 28. A cold day in San Diego is 13 degrees. So with all of this warm weather, there is no need for a jacket. Therefore, jacket training has no benefit to streetfighting because very few people wear jackets (except in January or February).

No gi training forces the student to use a different set of grips than other BJJ students. Plus, when most BJJ students in southern California first switch to no gi training, many of them tear each others t-shirts because they are so used to training with the gi. GI grips in BJJ are the same as Judo grips. No gi grips are the same as wrestling grips. While the wrestling grips can be applied to the gi, gi grips cannot be applied to no gi unless the person applying them has a strong grip. Both training methods are effective. However, wrestling grips can adapt much better than cloth grips.

3. "Personally I prefer to train with the Gi because the technical range of techniques is by far greater than in no-gi BJJ."

This is very true. Gi training has a lot more techniques than no gi training. However, quantity of techniques has very little to do with the quality of the training or the quality of the instruction. Additionally, it has been my experience that very few BJJ practitioners make use of pressure when they wear a gi. Most of them dance around from the top game and give a lot of space. Pressure is something that changes the way a person moves and trains. This pressure is best accomplished by training no gi. I know. I earned my nickname "BOA" because of it

Good training to you Henry

continued

Roy Harris Gast

Standard

Hello Henry,

Thanks for writing.

1. "Don't you think that it is extremely important to train with the Gi/Kimono to really learn BJJ?"

My answer is Yes and No. You must remember that BJJ is a highly personalized art. Some people practice it for fun, some for sport, some for self-defense and some as a combination of all of these. What may be preferred by one person is not preferred by all.

Some instructors emphasize the gi, others don't. I teach both to my students. However, I do not require them to take one or the other. I allow them to choose. Because I have a lot of experience with both the gi and no gi, I can teach both of them efficiently and effectively. When I teach BJJ to my clients all over the world, I allow them to dictate their training. If someone wants to focus on no gi training, I will train them no gi. If another student wants to train with the gi, I will train them with the gi.

Training the gi is only important to those students (or instructors) who emphasize the gi. Training with the gi is not necessary to learning BJJ. Let me repeat that: TRAINING WITH THE GI IS NOT NECESSARY TO LEARNING BJJ. Yes, there are a lot more fancy techniques with the gi, and collar chokes do exist. However, all of the same basic techniques exist regardless of whether the gi is present or not.

Two final points: You must remember that all styles of martial art had a beginning. You must also remember that all styles go through a period of change when they become absorbed into another country or culture. BJJ has been popular in America for about 15 years. In those 15 years, it has gone through tremendous changes. These same changes will occur in Europe. It is only a matter of time.

2. "I read on the internet that you had some problems with your fingers; was this the reason to focus more on no-gi BJJ?"

Yes, my arthritis did have something to do with my focus on no gi training. However, the fact that I am primarily a JKD fighter (who lives in a warm climate all year round) influenced my training more so. In Southern California, the day time temperatures (near the ocean) range between 14 and 28. A cold day in San Diego is 13 degrees. So with all of this warm weather, there is no need for a jacket. Therefore, jacket training has no benefit to streetfighting because very few people wear jackets (except in January or February).

No gi training forces the student to use a different set of grips than other BJJ students. Plus, when most BJJ students in southern California first switch to no gi training, many of them tear each others t-shirts because they are so used to training with the gi. GI grips in BJJ are the same as Judo grips. No gi grips are the same as wrestling grips. While the wrestling grips can be applied to the gi, gi grips cannot be applied to no gi unless the person applying them has a strong grip. Both training methods are effective. However, wrestling grips can adapt much better than cloth grips.

3. "Personally I prefer to train with the Gi because the technical range of techniques is by far greater than in no-gi BJJ."

This is very true. Gi training has a lot more techniques than no gi training. However, quantity of techniques has very little to do with the quality of the training or the quality of the instruction. Additionally, it has been my experience that very few BJJ practitioners make use of pressure when they wear a gi. Most of them dance around from the top game and give a lot of space. Pressure is something that changes the way a person moves and trains. This pressure is best accomplished by training no gi. I know. I earned my nickname "BOA" because of it

Good training to you Henry

------

Tobias,

Thanks for writing as well.

Unfortunately, the CD-ROM is reserved for those to paid for and participated in the training. I do not intend to sell this CD. Sorry

Good training to you though!

-------

BJJ Fighter,

I am sorry to hear of your injury. Hopefully it will not put you out of training too long!

Rickson has some great skills. I think the reason why he has not been fighting the TOP fighters is because he is trying to make a living, not represent an art. Remember, he was the family champion for a couple of decades. He proved himself to everyone back then. Now that everyone is training BJJ, they want to show they can beat Rickson. Well, put yourself in his shoes:

1. Your family has developed this awesome art.
    2. Your family proved its effectiveness to the whole world.
    3. Your family was responsible for sharing it with the rest of the world.

Now, so many people want to come along and prove they can beat you (BY USING YOUR OWN ART AGAINST YOU). How does that make you feel?

If I were Rickson, I would not fight for honor or loyalty any more. Fighting fans are not loyal to anyone but themselves. Oh yes, they are loyal as long as their fighter is winning. But the moment he loses a three or four fights, they begin looking for a "new champion" to call their hero.

Rickson has proved himself in Brazil. He proved himself in the first few Prides. He no longer needs to prove himself to anyone because the pubilc will continue to ask him to prove himself until he loses. If Rickson were to beat Sakuraba, the public would ask him to fight Crocop. If he beat Crocop, they would ask him to fight Sapp. If he beat Sapp, the public would ask him to fight someone else. The public's desire to see fighters keep entertaining them will continue for many years to come. Rickson knows this and will only fight to continue enjoying his present lifestyle. (That my opinion any ways )

I have not followed Pride recently so I cannot comment on those fighters.

What do I think about the evolution of the sport? I think people are finally beginning to understand what Bruce Lee spoke about when he talked about cross training in the 1960's. Although the emphasis is more on sport, the ideas are very similar. My only hope is that the sport become more professional. Our world does not need more violence or bad boys. What we truly need are professional athletes who can be respected inside AND outside of the ring!

Good training to all of you. I look forward to meeting you when I return to Germany in September and November of this year!

Roy Harris

P.S. It is now 11:25pm. After teaching all day and having dinner, I chose to come to this forum and answer questions. I will be leaving in a couple of minutes to go back to my hotel and retire for the night. My plane leaves tomorrow morning.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay here in Germany. German people have open their hearts and theior homes to me. I have felt very welcomed and very special. I thank you all for your hospitality. I look forward to sharing my heart with all of you in the very near future!

Roy Harris Gast

Standard

Here is an additional question that was asked of me:

Question: Hello Roy, I hope that everything is well with you I´m glad that you liked your time in Germany... I wanted to ask you a couple of questions on the german Kampfkunst-board forum, but you must leave Germany tomorrow so I ask you here... 1. Will it be in the near future any Kalis Ilustrisimo instructers in Germany? Maybe Björn? 2. Is it possible to learn the art, to be an instructer, only when I attend your Germany seminars in the near future? 3. I`m wonderring how was it possible for you to learn so many martial arts and to have a full time job at the same time? I mean did you train and spend many hours after the work in the gym/dojo? I can imagine it wasn`t easy for you... Can you give me an example how your typical day was looking during that learning period? I hope it wasn`t to much questions at once... Best wishes, VK21

My response: VK21, Thanks for writing.

1. "Will it be in the near future any Kalis Ilustrisimo instructers in Germany? Maybe Björn?"

Right now, to my knowledge, there are only two Kalis Ilustrisimo instructors in Europe, one in England and one in France. There may be others, but I am unaware of them. Also, I do not have any ability to certify instructors. I myself and just a beginner in the art.

2."Is it possible to learn the art, to be an instructer, only when I attend your Germany seminars in the near future?"

The only way to become an instructor in the Harris International Grappling Association is to attend one of my instructor's courses. Right now, there are four courses left: one in July in San Diego, another in November in Norway, another in January of 2005 in San Diego and the last course in July of 2005 in San Diego.

3. "I`m wonderring how was it possible for you to learn so many martial arts and to have a full time job at the same time? I mean did you train and spend many hours after the work in the gym/dojo? I can imagine it wasn`t easy for you... Can you give me an example how your typical day was looking during that learning period?"

I have been involved in martial arts since 1981. Back then, I trained to learn how to defend myself. It wasn't until I had moved to California that I becamse obsessed with martial arts training. From 1987 until around 1996, martial arts was a daily obsession. I trained everyday, either with my instructors, with my training partner and/or on my own. I thought about, dreamed of and practiced martial arts daily. I was a fanatic!

Back in the late 1980's, I would train everyday, for hours on end. I could not get enough of martial arts. Yes, I had a full time job and a girlfriend, but still, martial arts occupied so much of my free time. Every chance I had to train was a chance to become better at something: low line kicking, sweeps, boxing, kicking, blade work, clinch work, etc..

Does this answer your question?

Good training to you,

Roy Harris

Aktive Benutzer

Aktive Benutzer