Seite 1 von 2 12 LetzteLetzte
Zeige Ergebnis 1 bis 15 von 21

Thema: Prof. Gary Dill History

cbJKD Wilfried Gast

Standard Prof. Gary Dill History

Es gibt ja den vieldiskutierten Brief von James Lee an Prof. Gary Dill.
    Da mich einige danach fragen, und sich hartnäckig das Gerücht hält, Dill wäre Fake und Poser, hier seine Version des Ganzen, die vielleicht etwas Licht ins Dunkle bringt:

"Prof. Dill was a personal JKD student of James Lee during 1971 and 1972. He was able to train on a daily basis and keep indepth notes from each class. After his discharde from the US Navy, Dill returned to Oklahoma in order to continue his college education in September 1972.
    On Decembre 7, 1972 James Lee wrote a personal letter to Dill giving him permission to pass on his knowledge of JKD and gung fu in small, exclusive classes consisting of hand picked students. Lee also sent Dill a two years JKD training outline for him to use in his classes. James Lee died of cancer just two weeks after he has written this letter to Dill".

Nach eigener Aussage hat Gary Dill bis 1986 Jeet Kune Do als Teil seines Kenpo unterrichtet, und es auch nicht "JKD" genannt. Bis:

" In 1986 Professor Dill was appointed to the prestegious board of directors of the JEET KUNE DO SOCIETY, based upon his legitimate lineage in the JKD Clan under James Lee.
    Dill sat on the board along with Dan Inosanto, Richard Bustillo, Ted Wong, Herb Jackson, Linda Lee and six others. While on the bpard of the JKD Society, Dill was officially recognised as a fully tenured JKD Instructor (by Alan Jo, Taky Kimura, Daniel Lee and Linda Lee).
    Dill served on the board until the society fell apart in or around 1990-1991, due to internal problems"

Als er 1986 als "offizieller" JKD Instructor anerkannt wurde, hat er das Jeet Kune Do aus seinem Kenpo gelöst und getrennt unterrichtet und später zum SDS/JKD erweitert.
    Sein Kommentar zum Brief lautet:
    "it doesnt apply anymore since both james and bruce are dead, all the others do also teach JKD without being appointed instructor in Bruce´s lifetime and Alan Joe, Taky Kimura and Linda Lee recognised me as an legitimate instructor of JKD"

Es wird behauptet, das Dill nachdem die Society zerfallen war, öffentlich als Fake blossgestellt worden wäre.

er hat allerdings deutlich später für die Bruce Lee Educational Foundation eine Rede als Vertreter der Oakland Schule halten dürfen:

I trained under and with several instructors and masters during my martial arts career. They all had contributed to what I am now in the martial arts, but there were two who influenced my martial arts path so much more than any others. They are Hanshi (grandmaster) Lou Angel of Goju Karate, and JKD Sifu James Yimm Lee.

Several years ago, I was invited to be one of the speakers at the 3rd annual Bruce Lee banquet, hosted by the now defunct Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do Nucleus convention held in Seattle. Allen Joe and Linda Lee asked me to memorialize my JKD sifu, James Lee.
    There were hundreds of JKD exponents and “wanna be’s” from all over the US and internationally. I was honored to do this for Linda Lee, and was even more honored to represent the Oakland period with my memories of James Yimm Lee. Below is the speech that I delivered that evening at the Bruce Lee / Nucleus banquet.

I would like to thank the Nucleus and Linda Lee for giving me the opportunity to speak tonight about my Sifu, James Lee, and the Oakland JKD school.

James Lee was 20 years older than Bruce, but they were best friends and training partners. When Bruce moved to Los Angeles, he turned the Oakland school over to James
    James was a man who wore many hats, he was truly a “renaissance man.”
    He was of course a JKD instructor, a weightlifter, and was a welder by occupation. James even owned his own publishing company, Oriental Book Sales, and he printed Bruce Lee’s first book, “Chinese Gung Fu.”

The Oakland school was not a big, elaborate, commercial operation, but it was just the opposite, it was located in James Lee’s garage. You walk into his garage and it was lined on all three walls with training equipment. And most of that equipment was built by James himself. Over by the right wall was located his hydraulic kicking dummy, just in front of the stairway leading upstairs to his living quarters. On the left wall was the hanging bag which operated on a pulley system so it could be raised or lowered to a desired height. And on the back wall was the mook jon three arm dummy. Adjacent to the stairway was his “Lincoln” arc welder which was the small height as a chair. He used the welder as his “perch” where he would sit there like an eagle and watch everything that every student was doing in class.

James handpicked all of his students. For example, he interviewed me for over two hours before he accepted me as one of his personal JKD students. The Oakland JKD classes were small and exclusive, with only 8-10 students in attendance. James only took those students who were since, open-minded, and willing to train hard and give him 100% effort in class.

There were no uniforms…you wore what you wanted as long you could perform the techniques. Many times James would wear slacks, sport shirt, and wing tip shoes. I usually just wore sweat pants, some guys wore blue jeans and biker boots. There were even times when I showed up for class wearing my navy uniform, because I didn’t have time to change before class.

There were several interesting and sometimes humorous stories about my experiences with James at the Oakland school, but there just isn’t enough time to share them with you tonight…perhaps another time.

Jeet Kune Do in Oakland was the essence of street combat. There were no rituals, no sport, no fancy acrobatics. Having served 15 years in law enforcement, I can testify that JKD really works in the street. I was a criminal investigator who worked mainly homicides, organized crime, and narcotics. I have used Jeet Kune Do in the line of duty, and I would not be standing here tonight if it had not been for the effectiveness of JKD. I am indebted to Bruce Lee for developing JKD, and to James Lee for teaching it to me.

Bruce and James Lee not only gave us JKD techniques, but they also set an example for us, and influenced us in developing the fighting spirit and the “never give up” mindset which is needed to function into today’s society. For example, several months before I left Oakland, James shared with me that he had lung cancer, and that he suspected that it was terminal. People who are faced with the reality of their mortality, react in different ways, such as withdrawing, or seeking pity, etc………but NOT James Lee. What did he do? He was down in that garage working out and teaching JKD until the very end. He never missed class, never complained, he just kept right on.

James Lee lived his life as a warrior……he died a warrior.

END OF SPEECH

Das sollte die Dill geschichte etwas aufklären.
    angehangen habe ich den Brief von James Lee.
    Wer Prof. Dills "JKD Instructional Tapes" gesehen hat, sollte wissen, das Dill zu der Zeit stark übergewichtig wegen Diabetes war. Mittlerweile ist er immer noch kräftig, aber wieder gut in Form und für einen "alten Mann" sehr schnell und schlagkräftig, wie ich mich im Oktober überzeugen konnte, da er wegen der Diabetes seinen lebenswandel radikal umstellen musste.

Lieben Gruss
    Wilfried
    Angehängte Grafiken Angehängte Grafiken

Registrierungsdatum
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

und zur Abrundung: Martial Arts Koncepts

ich kenne Gary Dill nicht. Ich kenne seine Videos, und die gefallen mir nicht. Aber, und das ist für mich wichtiger, er hat ein paar sehr, sehr gute Schüler. Jeder muss sich wohl selber seine Meinungd azu bilden.

Grüsse
    Frank Burczynski

HILTI BJJ Berlin
    https://www.hiltibjj.de

http://www.jkdberlin.de

cbJKD Wilfried Gast

Standard

Hi Frank,
    ja das sehe ich ähnlich, die Videos sind sehr sehr...ähm...fällt mir gar kein Wort ein. Aber ich habe auch ein paar aktuelle Demos von ihm, die sehen dann wieder gut aus.

Was ergänzt Dein Artikel genau? Ich verstehe gar nicht, worum es da geht, weil Dill nicht unterrichten durfte während Lee noch lebte, ist er weniger authentisch als die anderen BL Schüler, die nicht unterrichten durften als Lee noch lebte?
    Geht das drum, das er 14 Jahre nach James Lee´s Tod nachdem die BLEF ihn als Instructor bestätigt hat, gegen James Anweisung doch JKD unterrichtet hat?
    Das ist doch eine Hexenjagd, unterrichten "durften" doch eh nur Kimura, James Lee und Dan Inosanto, inoffizielle, nicht kommerzielle Gruppen hatten aber doch auch Jesse Glover/James Demile und andere noch zu Bruce´s Lebzeiten.

Gruss Wilfried

Registrierungsdatum
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Hallo Wilfried

Es geht darum, dass Dill schon "vor" der Bestätigung durch den BLEF (die gab es 14 Jahre nach J.Lees Tod noch gar nicht) schon JKD unterrichtet hat, und das mit Bezug auf den Brief, in dem er diesen Brief so zitiert hat, als ob ihm James Lee die Erlaubnis dazu erteilt hat. In dem Brief steht aber etwas anderes. Das ist aber alles hinreichent bekannt und wird im Nachhinein auch nicht besser oder schlechter.

Grüsse
    Frank Burczynski

HILTI BJJ Berlin

cbJKD Wilfried Gast

Standard

ah
    so wie icdh das verstanden habe, ist er 1986 von der BRUCE LEE SOCIETY als instructor bestätigt worden.
    Ich wusste vorher ganr nicht, das es vor der BLEF und jetzt der BLF schon einmal so eine Gruppe gab
    LG Wilfried

Registrierungsdatum
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Jau, die JKD Society war etwas ganz anderes...wobei ich da von Richard Bustillo und auch in einem Interview von Howard Williams ganz andere, gegensätzliche, Auskünfte zu Gary Dill und der JKD Society habe. Aber letztendlich...egal.
    Frank Burczynski

HILTI BJJ Berlin

cbJKD Wilfried Gast

Standard

ja,
    fakt ist halt er WAR schüler in der oakland schule, er durfte mit ein paar Kumpels weitertrainieren als er weggezogen ist und weil er die trainingsoutlines hatte (und noch hat) ist es sehr interessant zum "researchen", was um 1972 rum den technischen Unterbau des JKD gebildet hat, und wie die Drills aufgebaut waren in James Lee´s Schule.

Registrierungsdatum
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Genau, "trainieren", darum ging es ja, nicht "unterrichten"
    Frank Burczynski

HILTI BJJ Berlin

Registrierungsdatum
    Blog-Einträge

Registrierungsdatum

Standard

Hilf mir mal weiter:

Worum geht's da??

Greets

Christof

Registrierungsdatum
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Eine "restraining-order" von Hargrave an Dill
    Frank Burczynski

HILTI BJJ Berlin

Registrierungsdatum

Standard

Zitat Zitat von jkdberlin Beitrag anzeigen
    Eine "restraining-order" von Hargrave an Dill
    Was ist das? Mein English ist nicht so super schlecht, aber ich hab nicht verstanden, was der Mensch von Dill möchte???
    "Nicht durch Alter, sondern durch Google erlangt man Weisheit..."
    Bodenkampf ist nur schwul, wenn man sich dabei in die Augen schaut. :P

Registrierungsdatum

Standard

Restraining Order = Einstweilige Verfügung

Domestic Abuse = häusliche Gewalt (wörtlich) sowohl physisch als auch psychisch

Greets

Christof

Registrierungsdatum

Standard

Das ist der sixth way of Attack: DAA: Domestic Abuse Attack

"CASE FILING: DOMESTIC ABUSE"

Die mögen sich also nicht

Aber ist schon ne weile her das ganze

J.

Registrierungsdatum

Standard

Die waren mal dicke Freunde.

Hargrave ist von Dill lizensiert.

Ich meine aber mal gehört zu haben das Dill mit seinen Instructoren nicht sehr pfleglich umgeht.

Greets

Christof

Seite 1 von 2 12 LetzteLetzte

Aktive Benutzer

Aktive Benutzer